Monday, June 22, 2009

Spin

So I just got back from my first spin class.  I've been trying to be more physically active lately (blah de blah... white noise... aren't we all...?), and when I heard about a free spin class being given by a friend of mine who's a personal trainer, I decided to gather my nonexistent cajones and give it a shot.  I had only ever heard painful, torturous things about spin class, but looking for a new way to boost my booty, I figured 45 minutes sweating my brains out in a dark room for free would at least be educational.  

Here are my thoughts.

1. I didn’t know it was possible for a human to sweat out their body weight in 45 minutes. Much less did I think it was possible for ME to sweat out my body weight in 45 minutes. But it is. Apparently. (I mean, my WRISTS were sweaty… What?!)

2. There was a point about 2/3 of the way through the class when the searing pain was not in my thighs, calves, arms, or abs… But a VERY centralized location where I didn’t realize numbness could be so scandalously painful. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

3. I was, by far, the youngest person in the room. And I was also, by far, the slowest.

4. If we are, on any level, friends, I’m really glad you weren’t there. I hit a point, trudging up that imaginary hill listening to Freddie Mercury sing about my "bottom", that brought out some very animalistic qualities… Let’s just say there was some grunting and snarling.

5. I stink. I mean, I really stink. But I guess that’s a repeat of #1.

Currently I’m curled up trying to move as little as possible. My body feels like an abused refugee. I could hardly walk out to the car, let alone climb the steps to my apartment. But if it doesn’t kill me, I’ll be back on Friday. Let's do this.

3 comments:

joanna said...

My best friend and I took a spinning class together. It was the most intense, unreal experience of my life. I waddled through life the next few days. It HURT to sit down for days. And we were definitely the youngins of the group and we were sweating more than anyone as well as breathing more heavily and basically hanging on for dear life. It's TOUGH.

Let me know if you continue onto Friday!

Anton Seim said...

Get it girl. In the olden times, our people were running from saber-tooth tigers. If you didn't have it in you, you were dinner. Your ancestors obviously had it in them, because here you are. So dig down and get primal, it's in your blood.

Erin said...

Wow! I have always wanted to do a spin class but can never find one for people my age. Someday I'm going to take one. Was it kind of fun at all? I've heard mixed things but it looks sort of fun.

By the way thanks for commenting on my tumblr. I'm glad you gave me you blog name because I really enjoy it. It's nice to read someone else's thoughts for once that aren't devoted to materialistic things all of the time. You have refreshing opinions. =)