Thursday, March 27, 2008

Brain Thoughts

So I'm watching Barefoot Contessa right now, and Ina Garten is slicing up spinach and gruyère puff pastry rolls in her big gorgeous Hampton kitchen in preparation for an art show for a friend. I mean... who LIVES this way?! And who ARE all these people? And who has enough money to buy such outrageously large logs of cheese to just... have around? Oh yeah, Ina Garten.



I don't really have anything particularly enlightening or intellectual to say today, but some things have been whirring around in my thinker for the past little bit, so I thought I'd share. Aren't you so glad you're here? ;-)

First of all, I bought a microplane zester a couple weeks ago and can I PLEASE tell you how it seems like the whole world has opened up since I got this seemingly benign little tool in my greedy little palm? How have I lived without this jewel in my culinary dower until now?! All previous personal cooking conquests seem archaic compared to the glory I have now that I can add zests to just about anything I want. Pancakes? A little orange zest is just what it needs... Creamy soup? Some freshly-shaved nutmeg will give it that certain something... Steamed lentils? A drizzle of olive oil and some lemon zest would be perfect! I mean, seriously. If you eat, get thee to a Sur la Table, post haste! You have no idea what you're missing.

Speaking of pancakes, this is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. The look on Macaulay Culkin's baby face at the end just makes my heart sing.



Also, will someone please buy these for me? I wear a size nine.

Or this:

The picture is PAINFULLY boring, but rest easy-- it is much cuter on... Oh, and I'm a size 4.

I promise I'll send you cookies and sing your praises.

Also, I think I'm due for a reeaaaally good dinner. It's sort of like how every once in a while you just need to be kissed where you feel it down to your knees... Like, little friendly pecks and goodbye smooches aren't cutting it anymore-- you just need someone to lay one on you so your knees buckle, the hair on the back of your neck stands out, and your toes curl! (Not that that has ever happened to me, but every once in a while I get that feeling like I just need someone to make a woman out of me.) Anyway, I have that itch regarding food recently. Like all my meals have been good and filling, but they haven't quite satisfied that deeper, unctious, gut-stirring yearning for something truly fantastic and satisfying. Something's got to give.

You should be kissed often… And by someone who knows how!

(from...? anyone?)

And now I'll leave you with another of my favorite movie scenes. Because... "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." Gah.



Oh! And P.S., does anyone have an idea for a dessert that's appropriate for an afternoon softball game? I mean... Tea parties I can handle. Outdoorsy softball games? Not so much.

4 comments:

One Fabulous Nanny said...

A) The people I work for live like that

B) Sounds zesty over there in LA!

C) How can you be an amazon and only have a size 9 foot? All of my other amazonians are 10+

D) Size 4?! You're teeeniney!

One Fabulous Nanny said...

I forgot to add e to the last comment

E) make little sugar cookies and decorate them like softballs!

Anonymous said...

GONE WITH THE WIND!!!

Le sigh.

Anonymous said...

I realize my comment is a bit late...but, to be exact - Rhett Butler said this to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind.